CALL FOR PROPOSALS – IN VIEW: East Danforth Storefront Installations
Deadline: Wednesday July 31, 2019, 11:59pm
Toronto’s sunset to sunrise celebration is the largest contemporary art event in North America. Since its inaugural year in 2006, Nuit Blanche Toronto has featured more than 1,400 official art installations created by over 4,900 artists, and attracted more than 1.2 million in 2018, including over 200,000 out-of-town visitors.
Now, it’s time for the East Danforth to shine! Thanks in part to local Artist Kevin Winn who was chosen as part of the Independent Projects Program, and the Danforth Mosaic BIA who have stepped forward with an investment to animate Danforth East between Greenwood and Coxwell, our community has been named an official Nuit Blanche Toronto neighbourhood hub!
Perfectly situated on the subway line between the Major Nuit Hubs of Scarborough and Nathan Phillips Square, Torontonians will be invited to hop off the subway at Greenwood or Coxwell TTC stations to experience our fantastic creative east Toronto community. This also gives local families in the east end a closer to home alternative to access contemporary art.
In addition to the curated installations and independent projects in Robertson Parkette and along East Danforth between Greenwood and Coxwell stations, we aim to have a minimum of five storefront locations within the Hub area turned into a series of temporary artistic experiences and activations, which will showcase the range of incredible talent across Toronto and our east end community.
East Danforth is a diverse, creative community filled with eclectic small businesses, as well as vibrant, resilient spaces for artists, artisans, and community members alike. Residents and visitors can fuel their creative energy, learn new skills, and express themselves in an expansive range of unique ways: building robots, delving into the culinary arts, creative writing, and more!
What is IN VIEW?
IN VIEW: East Danforth Storefront Installations pairs local business owners with artists from across the city to transform their storefront windows for one magical evening under the theme of Future Danforth. Thematically, Future Danforth invites artists to (re)interpret what the future of East Danforth looks like and means to them and the broader community. With changing perspectives, shifting boundaries, and new developments, we encourage artists to help us celebrate the experiences, viewpoints, and ideas of the future.
Artists are encouraged to use, and draw inspiration from recyclable materials, household items, and wares that are relevant and/or unique to the respective local business to transform their storefronts.
When is Nuit Blanche?
Nuit Blanche takes place on Saturday, October 5, 2019 from sunset (7:00pm) to sunrise (7:00am). Artist load in time will be negotiated with the prospective host business owner upon selection and matching. Artists should aim not to disturb regular business hours; however, art installation and creation that is open to the community is a great way to build curiosity and excitement for the event. Should your idea include an interactive component for audiences, artists should plan to be onsite or have representatives there throughout the duration.
How will artists be compensated?
East End Arts and the Danforth Mosaic BIA will provide each artist with a $500 Artist Honorarium, inclusive of HST. The Artist Honorarium also includes any and all necessary supplies and materials.
What kind of support will you receive?
- Access to site-specific storefront locations on Danforth between Greenwood and Coxwell;
- Professional documentation of your work;
- Limited volunteer support with load in and out. If you are proposing an interactive activation, you can request volunteer support to help you run the activation. Please include this in the application;
- Media relations support (Note: artists should feel comfortable with media interviews as they may be required to participate);
- Marketing and promotional outreach through East End Arts, the Danforth Mosaic BIA and Nuit Blanche networks (social media, e-newsletters and web).
What can you include to support your application?
- Submissions should aim to activate feelings of community, collaboration, and neighbourhood with an eye to our theme, Future Danforth, and the overall Nuit Blanche theme for 2019, Continuum;
- Any supplementary audio/visual materials to help us get a feel for the work;
- Any logistical or technical needs. Please note we cannot guarantee power to your site. If you require power for any of the components, you must plan for your own self-powered solution and include this in your materials budget;
- Any volunteer needs. Will you require volunteers to help run your activation or help the public with art making? If so, please detail them.
Please send proposals to email@example.com, with the subject line “IN VIEW: East Danforth Artist Proposal” by Wednesday July 31, 2019 by 11:59 pm. Proposals should be in one single PDF or Word document. Supplementary audio/visual materials can be included as email attachments, or external links.
When will I find out if my project has been chosen?
Representatives from East End Arts and the Danforth Mosaic BIA will be meeting to review applications the week of August 5th. Business matching will happen later that month. We endeavor to notify all applicants no later than Wednesday, August 21st.
Who is the point of contact if I have any questions regarding my submission?
If you have any questions, please contact Shana Hillman, Executive Director of East End Arts at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
We are eager to receive your proposal. If you have any barriers to participation with this Call for Proposals, please email us explaining your situation and we will do our best to accommodate you.