ABOUT THE WORKSHOP
Make your very own 8×10” wall tapestry!
Explore colour and geometric organic form while designing and weaving your own unique piece of tapestry artwork. Learn every step of the way, including wrapping a basic frame loom, creative techniques such as plain weaves, soumak stitches, rya knots, and more! Participants will not only take home a unique piece of tapestry art, but also the confidence to use their newly acquired skills on their own.
ABOUT THE FACILITATOR
Johanna Thompson is a multidisciplinary artist based in southwestern Ontario. She holds an MFA from York University and a BFA in photography from NSCAD University. She has exhibited work in Halifax and Toronto. Her work explores memory that is felt in the body and considers the ways the past is carried with us into the future. She employs craft techniques to engage with
remembered and forgotten histories in an immediate, haptic way. Her practice attends to the sensorial and ephemeral nature of memory, and seeks to form tactile and emotional connections with the past. She has been weaving since 2015.
Each ArtMEETS workshop will cost $10-$50 per person to attend (on a sliding scale of Pay What You Can). Payment is to be made online at the time of registration, which will be done via Eventbrite. Payments through Eventbrite can be made with any major credit card, or through PayPal. If you are unable to pay online, we also accept cash or cheque, which is to be paid before the day of your workshop. If you need to pay with cash or cheque, or you would like assistance through the payment process, please contact East End Arts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are not able to attend an ArtMEETS workshop that you’ve registered for, specifically if you are feeling unwell, please let us know as soon as possible and we will be happy to issue you a refund, or offer you a spot at an upcoming ArtMEETS workshop, if and where possible. You may also feel free to transfer your ticket to a friend! If you’re transferring your spot to another person, be sure to email them your ticket or hand it to them personally, and let East End Arts know in advance.
PLEASE NOTE: If you require financial assistance, please contact EEA’s Office Coordinator Tyler, at email@example.com. Nobody will be denied participation due to lack of funds, but please note that there will be high demand to participate in this program, so if you require financial assistance, please reach out early!
HEALTH & SAFETY
Participant & staff safety are of utmost importance to East End Arts and will be a priority during the program! Please note the following:
- Following Ontario public health guidelines, visitors to our Clubhouse are not required to produce proof of vaccination to enter. Enhanced cleaning routines will remain in place in our space, and East End Arts does require all employees, facilitators, and volunteers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- If you are feeling unwell, we ask that you please postpone your visit to our Clubhouse, and let us know about your absence as soon as you’re able.
- Following Ontario public health guidelines, masks are no longer mandatory inside our Clubhouse, however we continue to operate a mask-friendly space, and we welcome all visitors, employees and volunteers to wear them.
- We continue to ask all of our participants and visitors to practice social distancing, when and where possible.
- Hand sanitizer and disposable masks will be available on site for anyone who needs them.
- We have a fully accessible, gender-neutral bathroom on site.