ABOUT THE WORKSHOP
Summer Floral Embroidery!
Stitch your own garden on fabric! Learn to create floral hoop art with techniques like the straight stitch, chain stitch, French knots, fishbone leaf stitch, rose stitch. These stitches can be used to embellish your garments, in mending projects, or in stand-alone art projects. This workshop is beginner-friendly.
ABOUT THE FACILITATOR
Khadija Aziz (she/her) is a textile and digital artist, and an arts educator. Her work is a culmination of ongoing play with patterns, materials, and processes. She marries slow textile-making techniques and tools with spontaneous digital manipulation methods to create digital images, GIFs, installations, and Augmented Reality experiences. Her process-based practice bridges the gaps between slow craft techniques and digital technologies to generate unplanned possibilities.
Khadija is currently pursuing an MFA at Concordia University’s Fibre & Material Practices program. She has taught several textile courses at the Textile Museum of Canada, Arts Etobicoke, Workman Arts, and Neilson Park Creative Centre. Her textile and digital art has been exhibited in Toronto and Hamilton in Ontario; Montréal and Sherbrooke in Québec; Victoria, Australia; and Vienna, Austria. In recognition of her creative practice, Khadija received the Shanks Memorial Award in Textiles from Craft Ontario and the Creative Promise Award from Surface Design Association in 2020.
Each ArtMEETS workshop will cost $10-$50 per person to attend (on a sliding scale of Pay What You Can). Payment is to be made online at the time of registration, which will be done via Eventbrite. Payments through Eventbrite can be made with any major credit card, or through PayPal. If you are unable to pay online, we also accept cash or cheque, which is to be paid before the day of your workshop. If you need to pay with cash or cheque, or you would like assistance through the payment process, please contact East End Arts at email@example.com.
If you are not able to attend an ArtMEETS workshop that you’ve registered for, specifically if you are feeling unwell, please let us know as soon as possible and we will be happy to issue you a refund, or offer you a spot at an upcoming ArtMEETS workshop, if and where possible. You may also feel free to transfer your ticket to a friend! If you’re transferring your spot to another person, be sure to email them your ticket or hand it to them personally, and let East End Arts know in advance.
PLEASE NOTE: If you require financial assistance, please contact EEA’s Office Coordinator Tyler, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Nobody will be denied participation due to lack of funds, but please note that there will be high demand to participate in this program, so if you require financial assistance, please reach out early!
HEALTH & SAFETY
Participant & staff safety are of utmost importance to East End Arts and will be a priority during the program! Please note the following:
- Following Ontario public health guidelines, visitors to our Clubhouse are not required to produce proof of vaccination to enter. Enhanced cleaning routines will remain in place in our space, and East End Arts does require all employees, facilitators, and volunteers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- If you are feeling unwell, we ask that you please postpone your visit to our Clubhouse, and let us know about your absence as soon as you’re able.
- Following Ontario public health guidelines, masks are no longer mandatory inside our Clubhouse, however we continue to operate a mask-friendly space, and we welcome all visitors, employees and volunteers to wear them.
- We continue to ask all of our participants and visitors to practice social distancing, when and where possible.
- Hand sanitizer and disposable masks will be available on site for anyone who needs them.
- We have a fully accessible, gender-neutral bathroom on site.