What’s Your Story?
Short Prose and Poetry Competition for Emerging Writers
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS – Deadline: May 9, 2016
Event Details – coming soon
Everyone has a story — what’s yours? You’ve got the perfect chance to tell it in the Ontario Book Publishers Organization’s (OBPO) Short Prose and Poetry Competition for Emerging Writers.
The OBPO is accepting submissions until May 9, 2016 for the competition as part of What’s Your Story?, a new series of events that celebrate the literary communities in four different community hubs: Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough, and East York.
In the summer of 2016, literary events will be held in each of these neighbourhoods featuring one winning emerging author and their works (along with three established writers). There will be a total of four winning emerging authors.
Submissions are being accepted in the form of a one-page writing sample. The winning authors will be commissioned to produce a final work inspired by one of the above neighbourhoods.
There is a $1,000 honorarium for the commissioned work created by each winning author. The author will be featured at one of the What’s Your Story? literary events in the summer of 2016, published on OpenBookToronto.com, featured on TTC advertising, and published in a promotional print edition of Open Book Toronto.
The competition is open to writers who are over 16 years old and are Toronto residents. Preference will be given to writers who live in, or have lived in, one or more of the four neighbourhoods – Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough and East York. Authors must be available to participate in the literary events scheduled for the summer of 2016, the dates of which will soon be determined.
HOW TO SUBMIT ENTRIES:
- Submissions will be accepted by email only.
- Please put “What’s Your Story Emerging Writers Competition” in the subject line.
- Entries should be a maximum of a one page writing sample, typed, double-spaced, in a clear twelve-point font on 8.5″ x 11″ paper, saved as a Word document. Do not include the author’s name on the writing sample. This is a blind competition.
- Please provide a cover page stating your name, a 50-word bio, and describe connections to one or more of the four targeted neighbourhoods: Etobicoke, North York, Scarborough and East York, if applicable.
- Entries must be received electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 9, 2016 at 11:59pm EST.
- The authors of the winning entries will be notified by email in early June 2016.
Stay tuned for further information – East End Arts will share details of a local What’s Your Story? event soon.