Call for Proposals: Funding available for 2016 community activities at DAWES CROSSING
Receive up to $500 to produce a community event at the site of a unique outdoor sculpture at Victoria Park Avenue & Dawes Road in Toronto’s east end. Deadline: February 1, 2016
Dawes Crossing is a unique public art installation located at the intersection of Dawes Road and Victoria Park. Created in 2012 by artist Noel Harding, Dawes Crossing celebrates natural resources of wind, sun, water, and wood. It references the barns that were prevalent in the area and Dawes Road’s history as a major agricultural trade route. It creates a public gathering space with table, and laptop desk work spaces. An indigenous woodland planted with dozens of species native to the Don River Valley are sustained by rainwater collected on the structure.
The on-site solar panels generate electricity to power lights and provide free Wifi and AC outlets on site. Surplus energy is fed into the wider electrical grid, generating a modest amount of money to pay for repairs and community activities onsite.
We are now accepting proposals for ideas that use this remarkable structure to bring art and/or local community members together. Proposals will be awarded up to $500 to develop and present an activity in 2016. Examples of activities might be: an arts performance or workshop, a community BBQ, a local artisan show/sale. Think local and community-building – no event is too small!
Priorities – preference will be given to activities which:
- reflect the heritage and ethno-cultural diversity of the area
- are compatible with the environmental elements of the installations
- have a community focus
- feature local artists / artisans
- December / January events. We are open to winter/holiday ideas! If you have an idea for an event to take place between now and the February 1st, 2016 deadline, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Big Ideas: If you have an idea that is perfect for the site but which would cost more than $500 to produce, email us at email@example.com. Please be aware that our available funds are limited, however.
Submit your proposal using the form below by February 1, 2016.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity. Registration is now closed.