Please note that the deadline for this call has now passed. We thank everyone who signed up to join us!
East End Arts invites senior participants to join us for TAPESTRY! We are looking for up to 25 seniors throughout east Toronto and beyond to join us in this at-home art program. The deadline to apply is May 31, 2022 at 11:59 PM EST.
August 2022 – March 2023
Taking Place Online through Zoom, and in-person for an exhibition!
FREE to Participate (Sign up below)
CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS, TAPESTRY
Are you a local senior with a passion for textile arts, community, and storytelling? East End Arts is looking for a group of creative, passionate seniors to join us for our newest program called TAPESTRY!
TAPESTRY is an at-home art program that takes place online via Zoom for up to 25 seniors. The goal is for participants to learn different textile arts skills, increase digital literacy skills, and contribute to a a series of collaborative quilts, inspired by the famous Names Project AIDS quilt conceived in 1985 by Cleve Jones. Each quilt panel will celebrate a loved one or neighbour, an abstract concept, or even a local beloved business lost during this contemporary pandemic.
The program will take place over the course of six months – August 2022 to February 2023, and will feature different textile workshops each month, all led by different textile artists. At the start of the program, participating seniors will receive a kit of materials including fabrics, patterns, and the necessary materials to create textile art, as well as a journal in which to write about and share their insights into the themes explored in each monthly textile workshop. During the course of the program, participating seniors will also receive a combination of creative prompts to help keep inspiration and creativity high to contribute to their collaborative quilt, as well as other textile creations to keep themselves.
This program will culminate with an in-person exhibition at St. Matthew’s Clubhouse to share these phenomenal quilts and textile creations with community, and seniors will also be given a chance to share their writing about the topic of loss & their relationship with community in the pandemic. This program is entirely FREE to join. Join us in creating something magical and meaningful together!
WHAT TO EXPECT
Participating seniors will receive:
- A fulsome kit of materials including fabrics, patterns, and the necessary materials to create textile art to engage in the arts workshops;
- A journal in which to write about and share their insights into the themes explored in each monthly textile workshop;
- 6 arts workshops (Online using Zoom) with our talented artist facilitators to learn new creative techniques to apply to their collaborative quilts;
- Bi-weekly art prompts sent to your email inbox, to spark your creativity and give you inspiration;
- Lessons on using online technology, as well as one on one tech support throughout the course of the program;
- A special in-person exhibition to show off their final creations and quilts at St. Matthew’s Clubhouse (as health and safety measures will allow);
- And a unique opportunity to be a part of a vibrant community of creative elders!
PROGRAM JURY & SELECTION PROCESS
TAPESTRY will engage our senior participants as program designers as well, allowing them to guide the vision of this program. Interested participants of this program will be invited to join East End Arts staff in a Program Jury to review and choose three to six artists from our Call for Textile Artists to take part in this program! The Jury will take place in mid-June, 2022. Help to shape the workshops and the art that YOU want to learn about.
- May 31, 2022 – Deadline for this Call for Participants.
- June 6, 2022 – Participants will receive confirmation for their entry into the program.
- June 8 – June 15, 2022 – Interested Participants will engage in a Program Jury to select the final artists for this program.
- Week of July 25th, 2022 – First Online Zoom Hello Party, welcoming all our participants to the program.
- August 2022 to February 2023 – Zoom workshops will take place with our Artist Facilitators.
- March 2023 – Final Quilt and Art Creations Exhibition at St. Matthew’s Clubhouse.
All workshops for TAPESTRY will take place online. Participation requires access to the internet, an email address (preferable one with Gmail) and a free account with Zoom. If you have specific accessibility requirements, we encourage you to reach out to our Office and Outreach Coordinator Tyler at, firstname.lastname@example.org
FUNDER OF TAPESTRY
APPLY TO PARTICIPATE BELOW!
Please note that the deadline to apply for this program has now passed.
Thank you for your interest in TAPESTRY. To join us as a participant, please fill out the form below. Priority will be given to applications from seniors who are local east Toronto residents, members of our priority groups, and individuals who can commit to participating in the entire project.